Why Is This Important?Persons whose activities are limited due to physical, mental, or emotional problems may need more specialized health care than persons without such limitation. Their medical costs are generally higher and they are more likely to miss days from school or work.
Activity Limitation, Utah and U.S., 2001-2015
- Utah Data: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, Office of Public Health Assessment, Utah Department of Health
- U.S. Data: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), Division of Behavioral Surveillance, CDC Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services
Data NotesAge adjusted to the U.S. 2000 standard population. The U.S. data include the States and D.C., but do not include the U.S. territories. In 2002, only Utah and 22 other states asked the question. Utah did not ask this question in 2016 and 2017.
Starting in 2009, the BRFSS included both landline and cell phone respondent interviews along with a new weighting methodology called iterative proportional fitting, or raking. More details about these changes can be found at: [https://ibis.health.utah.gov/pdf/opha/resource/brfss/RakingImpact2011.pdf].
Note: At the time of this update, the BRFSS U.S. dataset did not include an age variable but did include five age categories up to age 80+ (vs. the typical weighting scheme that includes 85+). Comparisons with both weighting schemes were compared using Utah data, and the difference was about 1/100 of a percentage point.
Risk FactorsPersonal behaviors that affect overall health status can contribute to the kinds of chronic conditions that lead to activity limitation. Injuries are another contributor to activity limitation.
How Are We Doing?In 2015, approximately 17.3% (crude rate) of Utah adults reported having some type of activity limitation due to a physical, mental, or emotional problem. This percentage ranged from 10.9% for adults aged 18-34 years to 32.1% for adults aged 65 years and older.
Date Indicator Content Last Updated: 01/15/2019
- by Sex and Age Group, Utah, 2015
- by Education Level, Utah, 2015
- by Income Category, Utah, 2015
- by Ethnicity, Utah, 2013-2015
- by Race, Utah, 2013-2015
- by Local Health District, Utah, 2015
- by Utah Small Area, 2014-2015
- Utah and U.S., 2001-2015