Health Indicator Report of Utah Population Characteristics: Education Level in the Population
Education level is strongly related to health status. It is too simplistic to say that more education causes better health; however, higher levels of education often result in higher family income, greater self-determination, an understanding of health and illness factors, improved mental health, and a higher level of social and family support. All of those factors can result in better health.
Educational Attainment: Highest Level of Attainment, Aged 25 Years or Over, Utah and U.S., 2019
Notes2019 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates Table S1501
- U.S. Bureau of the Census
- American Community Survey
- Highest Level of Attainment by Sex, Utahns Aged 25 Years or Over, 2019
- High School Graduate or Higher Among Persons Age 18-24 by Sex, Utah and U.S., 2019
- High School Graduate or Higher by County and Sex, Utahns Age 25+, 2016-2020 ACS 5-year estimate
- High School Graduate or Higher by Local Health District and Sex, Utah Males Age 25+, 2016-2020 ACS 5-year estimate
- High School Graduate or Higher by Local Health District and Sex, Utah Females Age 25+, 2016-2020 ACS 5-year estimate
- Bachelor's Degree or Higher by Local Health District, Utahns Age 25+, 2016-2020 ACS 5-year estimate
- Bachelor's Degree or Higher by Utah Small Area, Utahns Age 25+, ACS 5-Year data 2016-2020
DefinitionEducational attainment among adults. Education level categories include: less than high school; high school graduate (includes equivalency); some college; Associate's degree; Bachelor's degree; and Graduate or Professional degree.
NumeratorNumber of persons in the educational attainment category and population age group.
DenominatorNumber of persons in the population age group.
Healthy People Objective ECBP-6:Increase the proportion of the population that completes high school education.
U.S. Target: 97.9 percent
How Are We Doing?Among Utah adults aged 25 and over in 2019, 93% were high school graduates or higher and 34.8% had a bachelor's or advanced degree.
How Do We Compare With the U.S.?Education levels in the U.S. have also improved markedly, although Utahns on average still tend to have more years of schooling than their American counterparts. In 2019, 11.4% of U.S. residents aged 25 and over had not completed high school, while only 6.9% of Utahns in the same age group had not completed high school.
Page Content Updated On 03/28/2022, Published on 03/29/2022