References and Community Resources'''Impact of Heart Disease and Stroke in Utah'''
In 2012, the Utah Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program published a statistical report titled the Impact of Heart Disease and Stroke in Utah. This report describes overall patterns in cardiovascular disease and risk factors at the state and national levels and among Utah subpopulations (age group, sex, race, ethnicity, and Utah Small Area).
'''Million Hearts Initiative'''
Heart disease and stroke are the first and fifth leading causes of death in the United States (CDC 2022). Heart disease is responsible for 1 of every 3 deaths in the country. Million Hearts is a national initiative that has set an ambitious goal to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes within 5 years (by 2027).
Million Hearts aims to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
*Improving access to effective care
*Improving the quality of care for the ABCS (appropriate aspirin
prescription, blood pressure control, cholesterol control, and smoking cessation)
*Focusing clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke
*Activating the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle
*Improving the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications
for the ABCS
See what you can do to be part of the solution. Visit https://millionhearts.hhs.gov/ for more information.
CDC's Blood Pressure website: http://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/ American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/
More Resources and Links
Evidence-based community health improvement ideas and interventions may be found at the following sites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) WONDER Database, a system for disseminating Public Health data and information.
- United States Census Bureau data dashboard.
- Utah healthy Places Index Map, evidence-based and peer-reviewed and supports efforts to prioritize equitable community investments, develop critical programs and policies across the state, and much more.
- County Health Rankings
- Kaiser Family Foundation's StateHealthFacts.org
- Medical literature can be queried at PubMedlibrary.