Overall Health Status
Summary measures of health status are statistics that use mortality data, or combine mortality and morbidity data to represent overall population health in a single number.1 Examples of summary measures include general health status and healthy days measures from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) surveys, life expectancy, and years of potential life lost (YPLL). Measures that combine mortality and morbidity include health-adjusted life years (HALYs) or health-adjusted life expectancy (HALE), quality-adjusted life years (QALYs), years of healthy life (YHLs), and disability-adjusted life years (DALYs).
1. Molla MT, Wagener DK, Madans JH. Summary measures of population health: Methods for calculating healthy life expectancy. Healthy People Statistical Notes, no. 21. Hyattsville, Maryland: National Center for Health Statistics. August 2001. Downloaded from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/statnt/statnt21.pdf on 2/10/2015.
Bergner and Rothman2 have suggested that health status assessment measures serve four different functions, including examination of the health of general populations, clinical interventions and their effects, changes in the health care delivery system, and health promotion activities and their effects.
2. Bergner, M, and Rothman, ML. Health Status Measures: An Overview and Guide for Selection. Annual Review of Public Health 8:191-210, 1987. As cited in Marilyn J. Field and Marthe R. Gold (Eds.) Summarizing Population Health: Directions for the Development and Application of Population Metrics, Committee on Summary Measures of Population Health. Institute of Medicine. Washington D.C., National Academy Press. 1998. Downloaded from http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=6124 on 2/10/2015.
Activity Limitation - Adults (BRFSS)
General Health Status - Adults (BRFSS)
Physical Health - Adults (BRFSS)
Mental Health - Adults (BRFSS)
Depression - Adults (BRFSS)
Years of Potential Life Lost (YPLL)
- Utah Public Health Outcome Measures Report
- February 2017 Utah Health Status Update: Measuring Health Disparities: Trends in Utah Racial and Ethnic Minorities
- December 2016 Utah Health Status Update: Utahns, Becoming the Healthiest People in Nation - Progress Review
- December 2016 Community Health Spotlight: Improving Health for All Utahns: Developing the Health Improvement Plan
- Utah State Health Assessment 2016 Report
- Mental Health Status (from Utah State Health Assessment 2016 Report)
- Depression (from Utah State Health Assessment 2016 Report)
- December 2015 Utah Health Status Update: Utahns, Becoming the Healthiest People in Nation - Progress Review
- Health Status by Race and Ethnicity 2015
- Utah's Healthiest People Priorities Report