More Information and References for Blood Pressure: Doctor-diagnosed Hypertension
References and Community ResourcesHeart disease and stroke are the first and fourth leading causes of death in the United States. Heart disease is responsible for 1 of every 3 deaths in the country. Million Hearts is a national initiative that has set an ambitious goal to prevention 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017. The impact will be even greater over time.
Million Hearts aims to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
- Improving access to effective care.
- Improving the quality of care for the ABCS (appropriate aspirin prescription, blood pressure control, cholesterol control, and smoking cessation)
- Focusing clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke.
- Activating the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle.
- Improving the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications for the ABCS.
See what you can do to be part of the solution. Visit http://millionhearts.hhs.gov/be_one_mh.html for more information.
For information about the Million Hearts initiative, please visit www.millionhearts.hhs.gov.
CDC's Blood Pressure website: www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/
American Heart Association
More Resources and LinksEvidence-based community health improvement ideas and interventions may be found at the following sites:
Additional indicator data by state and county may be found on these Websites:
Medical literature can be queried at the PubMed website.
For an on-line medical dictionary, click on this Dictionary link.